Monday, April 19, 2010

In case you are wondering....

this is the "story" of how I came up with my photography business' name:



I thought I would do a blog about how I came up with my photography business name.  I know that some may be wondering.  Oldfields is the horse farm I grew up on and where many of my childhood memories remain.  I moved to Oldfields, which is in Fluvanna County, when I was five years old and lived there until I was eleven.  It is a 100-acre farm and when I lived there, my family ran a horse business.  We had 14 horses and my mother trained people to ride.  We had horse shows and I even had my own pony!  What I lucky girl I was!  My brother and I used to have the best time, just the two of us, running around this beautiful farm. 


This is the front of the house.  The house was very old and dated back to the Civil War time period.  It was three stories with a basement.  The basement even had a place to store your canned vegetables.  (what is that room called again!?)  

There was definitely not any air conditioning in the house,  and I remember as a little girl standing on a chair in front of the freezer with my mom to cool down.  



This is the back of the home.  To the right by the wooden fence, we had a huge vegetable garden.  Everything from potatoes to sunflowers.  I remember that very well.  


This is the back on the other side of the house.  There was a huge field in the back yard.  I remember playing football with my dad and brother and teaching my brother how to ride his bike.


This is the barn that my parents built.  It is about the only thing that still looks somewhat new.  I spent a lot of time in that barn, mucking stalls and taking care of the horses.  I still remember it like it was yesterday.


This the driveway that led down to the house.  It was a mile long and I still remember riding my bike down the hill with my brother.  We had a banana seat bike, I guess that's what you call it, and my brother and were riding it together and it flipped.  It was an awful bike wreck and I still have the scar on my knee to prove it.  In the field behind the green pines, to the right, there was a bunch of horse jumps.




In this field, which is in front of the house, there was a riding rink.  It is all grown up now, but there was a very nice rink where my mother would train people to ride and where I would try to ride my pony.  My pony was very lazy, and every time I would try to ride her, she would go around the rink about one time and then drop her shoulder, dump me off and run back to the barn to eat.  



These boxwoods used to be huge.  They have been cut back now.  My brother and I would play in the them. They were almost hollow inside and we had so much fun playing inside the boxwoods.



And this is the pond that is nestled back in the woods behind our house.  I remember it well because my dad, brother and I would go fishing there.  We also had two ducks and a beaver at one time that caused a lot of trouble.  Back behind the pond, up the hill, there was a huge field and my brother and I used to go berry picking.  


So, there you have it.  I had a great childhood and man I still wish we had that farm.  My parents sold it when I was eleven and we moved to a more suburban area, if that's what you want to call it. At least to us, it was back then.  And now, the years have passed on and I still think of Oldfields and all the fun my brother and I had.  It really is the simple things in life.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Designed by Rita of CoffeeShop